A beautiful smile is more than just sparkling white teeth. It’s also about the health of your gums and the depth of the pockets around your teeth. At Roswell Complete Dentistry, we pride ourselves on offering comprehensive oral care to our patients. One essential procedure many are unfamiliar with is the deep dental cleaning. In this blog, we’ll break down what it entails, why it’s sometimes necessary, and the benefits of undergoing this treatment.
What is a Deep Dental Cleaning?
Unlike a standard cleaning that focuses on the surfaces of teeth and the line of the gum, a deep dental cleaning, often referred to as scaling and root planing, delves deeper below the gumline. This procedure is specifically designed to treat gum disease and to prevent it from advancing to more severe stages.
- Scaling: This is the process of removing dental tartar from the surfaces of the teeth. The hygienist will use specialized tools to clean below the gumline, ensuring that all plaque and tartar buildup is effectively removed.
- Root Planing: Once scaling is complete, the next step is root planing. This involves smoothing out the roots of the teeth to promote proper healing and to prevent bacteria from re-attaching itself to the surfaces. It helps the gums reattach to the teeth, reducing pocket depths.
Why is Deep Cleaning Suggested?
If your dentist or hygienist at Roswell Complete Dentistry suggests a deep cleaning, it’s often because they’ve identified signs of gum disease. When plaque and tartar accumulate below the gumline, they can lead to infections that damage the gum and bone. Over time, this can result in deep pockets between the teeth and gums, loose teeth, and even tooth loss.
Routine cleanings can manage and remove plaque and tartar above the gumline, but once gum disease sets in, a more intensive cleaning approach is necessary. That’s where scaling and root planing come into play.
Benefits of a Deep Dental Cleaning
While you may have to sit in the dental chair longer than you would during a routine teeth cleaning, you can expect the following big benefits from this procedure:
- Prevents Disease Progression: The primary benefit of a deep cleaning is the halt of gum disease progression. By removing the harmful bacteria, you prevent further gum recession and reduce the risk of advanced periodontitis.
- Promotes Healthier Gums: After the procedure, you’ll notice your gums will be less red, swollen, and will bleed less.
- Reduces Bad Breath: Gum disease is a common cause of persistent bad breath. By addressing the root of the problem, deep cleaning can improve halitosis.
- Protects Teeth: By ensuring the gums are healthy and free from infection, you’re also safeguarding your teeth. Healthy gums are essential for a strong foundation for your teeth.
- Overall Health Benefits: Numerous studies have linked gum disease to other systemic health issues, including heart disease and diabetes. By maintaining good oral health, you’re also taking a step to promote your overall well-being.
Learn What to Expect During Your Deep Cleaning in Roswell
While the term “deep dental cleaning” might sound intimidating, with the expert team at Roswell Complete Dentistry by your side, you’re in skilled and caring hands. We ensure the procedure is as comfortable as possible and provide guidance for post-procedure care. If you have concerns about your gum health or are due for a dental check-up, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Your oral health is our priority.